Blank Slate

I’ve just finished turning the band website into a WordPress site. Well, when I say ‘finished’, I mean I’ve put it up live because it’s in a place where I’m comfortable that the theme is pretty close to the original look.

Over the last few months I’ve taken a liking to WordPress and have used it more and more for various projects. There may not always be a plugin to do exactly what I need, but it’s pretty easy to pull something together yourself.

I didn’t want to change how the band website actually looked – I just needed a way for us to be able to easily add photographs, gig dates, and videos. Since the site itself has always looked pretty simple, I spent a while looking for a stripped down theme that I could customise before settling for Blank Slate. You can’t really get much more stripped down than a full CSS reset and the bare minimum markup!

The total time taken to convert the website from pure hand-written HTML to a WordPress theme with content, (including figuring out the plugins I wanted and customisations to those) was about a single day, and most of that was eaten up by me trying to decide which events calendar plugin to use.

I still need to do some SEO stuff and re-do the social media links, but all in all I’m pretty happy with how the conversion went. The site looks pretty much exactly the same, but we now have a real back-end that will allow us to manage our photos, videos, and gig dates far more easily.

This article was posted in Programming, Projects, Web Development. Bookmark the permalink. Follow comments with the RSS feed for this post.Post a Comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.